Dynamics 365 Mobile apps are handy tools which allow D365 users to access and update their Dynamics 365 environment from anywhere and at any time. Beyond that, customizing what is available on the mobile app is key to ensure that the experience is efficient for both the user and the organization.
A user’s security role must include the necessary permissions in order for them to successfully use the mobile app. If you have used (or copied) an out of the box role chances are high that most of these are already set, but it never hurts to check. And if you have created a custom security role, it is particularly important to confirm that the following privileges and access combinations have been configured.
1. The Dynamics 365 for mobile privilege is the first one to confirm. This privilege is in the Business Management tab of a security role within the Privacy Related Privileges section. Verify that Dynamics 365 for mobile is set to Organization.
2. Validate that the following entities have a minimum of Read access at the Organization level, by navigating to the Customization tab of a security role.
- Custom Control
- Custom Control Default Config
- Custom Control Resource
- System Application Metadata
- System Form
- User Application Metadata
3. Next go to the Business Management Tab. Verify that User Settings is set at the Organization level for Read permission, and the remainder of the privileges have a minimum of User access.
Dashboards also need to be configured for them to be available to users in the mobile app. This is easily accomplished by opening your D365 solution and within the Components area, select Dashboards. Choose the Dashboard which you want accessible from mobile devices, select Properties, then select the box to Enable for mobile, choose OK and save. Then move onto the next Dashboard, which you want available, and repeat the same steps.
You can also limit the entities, as well as form components which display in the mobile app. Navigate to you D365 solution and within the Components area, select the entity you wish to be available on the mobile app. Ensure that the ‘Enable for mobile’ box has been ticked.
Next if you wish to only show certain elements of an entity form, open the main form for the entity, and open the Tab Properties, Section Properties and/or individual field properties, and tick or untick the option for ‘Available on phone.’
Dynamics 365 is a sophisticated Microsoft business application, it grants the ability to better manage the relationships of your Sales, Customer Service, Field Service and Operation processes. But how can you access your data while you are out in the field, the internet is down or you are not anywhere near your PC? Dynamics 365 for phones and Dynamics 365 for tablets apps are the solution when you're on the go. These apps give you immediate access to accounts, contacts, opportunities, cases, and so much more!
How to get the App:
Go to the app store on your device and download either Dynamics 365 for phones or Dynamics 365 for tablets, depending on the device you are working with. Both phone and tablet users alike will appreciate the new Unified Interface. The Unified Interface provides an optimized viewing and interaction experience, relative to screen size, device, and orientation.
Accessing the App:
Once you have the app installed, open the app on your device, enter your Dynamics 365 URL (web address), and click the arrow to continue. Next you will be prompted for your user name and password. If you are unsure of any of these values, contact your Dynamics 365 administrator.
Once logged in, you will have access to the components which have been configured for mobile within your organizations environment and fit within the parameters of your security role. You will be presented with Dashboards, Records, and Views, and many other features, which you are already familiar with. You will notice a variance in how the screen renders as compared to your PC, the apps presentation is designed to make it more conducive to the condensed screen real estate, without losing any functionality.
To ensure that confidential information does not end up in the wrong hands, it is simple to sign out of the Dynamics 365 app on your device, tap the ellipses, then choose Sign Out.
Do note the following:
- The Windows Phone app for Dynamics 365 (online) version 9.0. was deprecated as of May 22, 2018. The Windows Phone app will no longer be supported for Dynamics 365 (online) version 9.0. Support for the app on Windows tablets and PCs remains unchanged. You can still use the Windows Phone app for Dynamics 365 version 8.2 and earlier. This is only relevant if you are planning to update to Dynamics 365 version 9.0 and have a Windows phone.
- Dynamics 365 has separate mobile apps for Field Service and Operations.
- Microsoft won’t onboard any additional customers to Mobile offline currently, further notice will be released. This does not affect existing customers who already use mobile offline.