What if I told you there was a way you could eliminate up to half of your spending on costly resources while increasing your company’s productivity? The answer is simple – consider implementing cloud technologies in your day to day operations.
In today’s competitive world, companies are always looking for ways to stand out from their competition. Businesses in fields such as accounting, healthcare, marketing, consulting or law spend their precious resources, time and energy managing operations which range from collecting time and expenses and approvals to invoicing customers and collections.
Considering the benefits in terms of cost, manpower, control and accessibility, it’s no surprise that many corporate companies are now looking into implementing a cloud solution for the business software they use to manage administrative or financial tasks. The following explains how cloud technologies can benefit not only regular businesses, but service businesses as well.
- It saves you money and time – As previously mentioned, service companies spend their valuable time and money collecting expenses and time from their field personnel while they should be focusing on delivering value to customers. By including cloud technologies like web-based time and expense reporting in your company, you can reduce paperwork, and costs by allowing employees to access data at various locations.
- It increases productivity – Cloud integration breaks traditional boundaries in business. With cloud, businesses are now able to communicate, share files, and interact with clients or employees around the world with more ease. Projects can continue to move along even when employees are away for travel or not in the office.
- It can help gain a greater competitive advantage - Cloud based integration can help gain new customers and boost market share because of its ease of use and how it enables you to focus more time on your customers.
- It can enable better customer satisfaction – In a service based business, you want to spend the majority of your time and energy on your customers. Utilizing cloud can help simplify IT operations and improve your customer experience.
- You gain better control of your business – Cloud technologies make navigating through your company’s data and information effortless. It also makes delegating tasks less complicated due to increased accessibility to your company's files and documents. For a growing service business, it can help a company quickly adapt to market demands.
Competition in the services business market continues to increase. By taking advantage of cloud technologies, like Cloud Dynamics GP by WebSan, you can stay ahead of the curve and focus on what’s important – the customer. So, why not try it out?
By: Mabelle Gonzales, Marketing Coordinator at WebSan Solutions Inc, a Canadian Certified Microsoft Dynamics Partner.
I don’t have anything against a mouse – a computer mouse that is – but sometimes I find I can be more efficient using the keyboard. Over the years, you have probably gotten so familiar with some keyboard shortcuts that you find yourself even using the shortcut keys when you speak instead of the actual function it is used for – “Just Control+V that in the email.”
Sound like you? If it does, you may find some of these Microsoft Dynamics GP Keyboard Shortcuts to be quite handy:
- ALT+F: Activates the File menu in a GP window
- ALT+E: Activates the Edit menu in a GP window
- ALT+M: Activates the Microsoft Dynamics GP menu on the main toolbar
- ALT+R: Activates the Reports menu on the main toolbar
- ALT+A: Activates the Transactions menu on the main toolbar
- ALT+I: Activates the Inquiry menu on the main toolbar
- ALT+C: Activates the Cards menu on the main toolbar
- ALT+H: Activates the Help menu
- CTRL+L: Opens a Lookup Window
By: Rahim Jiwani, Application Specialist,WebSan Solutions Inc.
Before I start telling you the advantages of a partner hosting Microsoft Dynamics GP than just using a Microsoft Hosted/Azure environment, let me first explain the difference between them, so you can better understand what they mean.
A “Partner -Hosted” solution is either an independent software vendor (ISV), system integrator (IS) or a Value- Added Reseller (VAR) that offers hosted cloud solutions through a licensing partnership with Microsoft. A “Microsoft Hosted/Azure” environment is an internet cloud service hosted directly in Microsoft data centres.
The advantage of a “Partner-Hosted” solution is that you are actually working with people who not only have expertise in hosting software but also, possess a deep understanding of the Dynamics GP system. Some people find that it’s very important to build a trusting relationship before they do business; finding a Microsoft Dynamics partner who not only provides hosting solutions but, is Certified as well can reduce cost and provide a better solution in the long run. When using Microsoft hosted/Azure environment there is a variable cost to consider. If the price is very important to a client, then going with a partner would be a better solution. Companies that are in Canada might not like the idea of having their data hosted on an Azure environment because it’s US based. It's important to many Canadian companies to keep their data in Canada.
In future blogs, I will be taking more about a partner hosted solutions and how beneficial it can be to you.
By: Natalie Williams, Marketing Coordinator, WebSan Solutions Inc., a Canadian Certified Microsoft Partner
Sending an email should be easy to compose and send, it also should be easy to reply and forward to different people. Hotmail has one of the simplest ways of navigating and organizing emails, but the problem with that is companies don’t use Hotmail as their email provider. So say the email system that you’re using is giving you a hard time by not sending emails properly or sending all your emails to the junk folder, many of these problems can be frustrating and make you appear to be unprofessional. Here are a few benefits of using email integration in Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 allows users to effortlessly email single and/or numerous documents. You can also send emails from a list in the system. You have the option of choosing a document that you want to send to a specific customer or vendor.
- With email integration, you can send documents as HTML, PDF, DOCX, or DOCX.
- You can customize messages for each document and/or customer/vendor combinations.
- You can also combine many documents and send them all at once in a single email.
So if you think your company needs a new email system and perhaps a new online accounting software system, why not kill two birds with one stone?
By: Natalie Williams, Marketing Coordinator, WebSan Solutions Inc., a Canadian Certified Microsoft Dynamics Partner
For some of the more technical Microsoft Dynamics GP users, you may want a little more control and customization when reporting on your GP data. SmartLists provide a fairly quick and dynamic option to custom reporting, but they may not be visually satisfying. On the other hand, integrating BI360 with GP will allow you create very clean and organized reports in an Excel-like environment, but won’t give you that rudimentary control that your technical mind may crave. If you’re looking for some sort of middle ground between these two options, take a look at SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) for Dynamics GP.
The key to creating effective SSRS reports is having a good knowledge of SQL – or at the very least, a fairly strong knowledge of databases. This is what scares away some users, but for those that have this type of background, SSRS Reports could be your salvation in the pursuit of both visually appealing and fully customizable reports.
While SSRS Reports can be easily viewed within Dynamics GP, they are created in Microsoft Report Builder – a separate software program that is offered for free by Microsoft. Using Report Builder allows you to take a custom SQL query that you have created (either from scratch or by using Report Builder’s intuitive Query Designer) and turn it into an appealing report. With the ability to easily create tables, charts, and even visual scales/gauges, you can turn a simple list of data into a work of art!
If you have SSRS Reports deployed in your GP environment, you can view them by going into any series and selecting the “Reporting Services Reports” item in the Navigation Pane.
By: Rahim Jiwani, Application Specialist, WebSan Solutions Inc.
Last month I wrote about how now is the time to perform some Spring Cleaning on your Dynamics GP system. With that in mind, I want to highlight the Accounts Receivable Paid Transaction Removal feature, which helps speed up Dynamics GP performance.
This feature is often overlooked as firms do not want to lose historical data. However, the utility only removes receivables transactions for companies that do not maintain receivables history. By performing this function, transactions that are fully applied are moved to history, greatly reducing the number of transactions that are reviewed when aging documents or performing other routines. This greatly improves the performance of Dynamics GP.
Once this process is run for a document, it can no longer have transactions performed against it. For example, one cannot NSF a removed cheque. Therefore, it is recommended that companies run this utility for a date at least 90 days prior to the current date.
To access the Paid Transaction Removal, select Sales > Routines > Paid Transaction Removal.
Adam MacIntosh is a Senior Project Manager at WebSan Solutions Inc, a Microsoft Dynamics GP Partner offering implementation & support services for large & small firms in a variety of industries.
Spring is here & that means SPRING CLEANING! With that in mind, system administrators should be thinking about cleaning up their Dynamics system & shoring up their licensing needs. Thus, I would like to tell everyone about a free utility that will help cleaning up your licensing needs.
Microsoft Dynamics GP is licensed concurrently. Meaning, if a user is logged into multiple companies at a single time, they will also be using multiple licenses at that time. For firms with multiple companies running on Dynamics GP & where the number of licenses is very close to the number of actual users, this can present a problem.
For those where purchasing additional licenses is not an option, there is a utility to prevent users from logging into multiple companies at the same time. To install, download from Customer Source & extract the Prevent_Users_Logging_In_To_Multiple_Companies.zip file. Then simply log into Microsoft Dynamics GP & select Tools > Customize > Customization Maintenance, then import the extracted file .
No longer will multiple logins from a single user burn multiple licenses.
Adam MacIntosh is a Senior Project Manager at WebSan Solutions Inc. A certified Microsoft partner.