Dynamics 365 Business Rules help organizations achieve automation by performing tasks for users based on predetermined logic. This means less time entering data and more time making key decisions. Business Rules can also be used to enforce behavior by controlling certain field properties. This allows upper management to ensure proper steps are taken daily. If these controls are implemented properly, both the organization and users will see the benefit afforded through the configuration of Business Rules.
Business Rules in Dynamics 365 are a simple way to apply logic to your business data without the need for any code. D365 Business Rules are effective, yet easy to manage. The typical Business Rule follows the “if, then” statement structure and often contains two or more parts. The first part is always a condition statement where you state the condition which will trigger the business rule to take effect. The second part is the action, meaning once the set condition has been met, what action should be performed.
Below is sample Business Rule diagram to illustrate how a typical Business Rule is setup.
As you can see, the condition statement is checking the Estimated Revenue for an opportunity, if the Estimated Revenue exceeds a certain threshold then an account manager must be associated to the opportunity. Simple rules like these can help organizations improve their daily process and grow more effective to achieve their goals.
Business Rules in Dynamics 365 can perform an explicit set of functions against records. Below is a list of the actions and what each does.
- Create Business Recommendations: Provide users a recommendation on suggested next action
- Lock/ Unlock Fields: Lock/Unlock fields to control user input
- Show Error Message: Alert users when certain key information is missing or entered incorrectly
- Set Field Values: Automatically populate fields based on set conditions
- Set Default Value: Enter default value on normal conditions
- Set Field Requirement Levels: Enforce data capture to ensure fields are completed
- Set Visibility: Show and hide fields based on conditions
Now that you know what Business Rules are capable of, why not try creating one for yourself. Checkout our step by step instructional video on how you can setup your own business rules.
Management Reporter provides the flexibility of consolidating financial data across one or multiple organizations in one single report. This report includes a summary (consolidated) report for all companies as well as the option to view a report for each of the companies that you are using on the consolidation.
The simplest method to create a consolidation of all companies is by using a reporting tree. A reporting tree is an optional “building block” that allows you to list all companies to be consolidated. Once the report is generated you will have the option to select any company from the reporting node on the consolidated report.
Viewing Companies Side by Side
The second option for consolidated reports is to show each company side by side. This can also be achieved by defining a reporting tree with all companies and using that reporting tree to assign each company on separate columns.
Consolidated currency translation
Management Reporter also offers the ability to consolidate different currencies in on the report, where users can select at real-time any currency previously setup in each Dynamics GP company. The following items must be set up to achieve currency translation:
The Fixed Assets module for Dynamics GP helps your business improve its asset management by automating the accounting processes surrounding your property. You can use Fixed Asset Management, to set up, enter, and maintain asset records. When necessary, you can add insurance and user-defined information and create additional records for each asset, including investment tax credit information and lease information.
Simplify the depreciation process with modification, recalculation, averaging, comparison and projection capabilities.
Capture asset information in multiple books, allowing depreciation to be tracked under different methods for alternative reporting needs.
Provides accurate and accessible information – capture changes necessary for tax and financial reporting purposes.
Improve efficiency by automatically connecting with Intercompany, Purchasing and General Ledger modules
The Professional Services Tools Library (PSTL) can be implemented in your Microsoft Dynamics GP environment very quickly. This add-on contains a large assortment of 25+ free tools for any business wanting to increase their business productivity. These modules are listed below;
- Database Disabler – Allows the administrator to block users from logging into a company. The company will not appear in the list of companies when logging in to Microsoft Dynamics GP until the administrator unblocks the database.
- Shortcuts Copy – Use this tool to copy the shortcuts options from one user to another user.
- Update User Date – The Update User Date utility automatically updates the user data in Microsoft Dynamics GP to the next date at midnight each day. This is useful if Microsoft Dynamics GP is left running overnight.
- Menu Inquiry Utility – Shows windows that are enabled and visible in Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- Account Modifier / Combiner – Change a single or multiple account number(s) into new account numbers. Combine all of the open and historical data from two account numbers into one number or combine a range of numbers.
- Checkbook Modifier – Allows the change of an existing checkbook ID to a new checkbook ID.
- Fiscal Period Modifier – Use the Fiscal Period Modifier to change fiscal year definitions and reset data in the open and history tables. See detailed instructions before using this tool. Clicking on Setup Periods button removes previous year’s definitions.
- GL Master Triggers – Keep the account numbers in sync between company databases. Add an account number to one database and it automatically replicates to other assigned databases.
- 1099 Modifier – If the vendor was not set up as a 1099 vendor, can be used to update the records.
- PM Master Triggers – Adds new vendors to additional selected company databases.
- Vendor Combiner – Use the Vendor Combiner tool to combine a current vendor ID with another existing vendor ID.
- Vendor Modifier – Use the Modifier tool to change an existing vendor ID or range of vendors to a new vendor ID. All work, open and history transactions are moved to the vendor ID.
- Vendor Name Modifier – Use this tool to change the vendor name.
- Minimum PO\Receipt Number – Stops Microsoft Dynamics GP from looking backward for unused document numbers.
- POP Cost Defaulter – Defaults the current cost or the standard cost from the item master card instead of from the Item Vendors record.
- Customer Combiner – Use this tool to change or combine customer numbers without any loss of work, open or historical records.
- Customer Modifier – Change the customer name on all work, open and historical records.
- Customer Name Modifier – The Update User Date utility automatically updates the user data in Microsoft Dynamics GP to the next date at midnight each day. This is useful if Microsoft Dynamics GP is left running overnight.
- Receivables Transaction Unapply – Reverses the effect of applying payments, credit memos or returns, even if there are discounts and/or write-offs associated with the document.
- Customer Item Lookup – See prior purchases made by a customer during the sales order entry process.
- SOP PO Number Check – Checks to see if a Customer PO number has already been entered on a sales transaction.
- Inventory Site Modifier / Combiner – Change or combine the current Site / Location Code to a new code without losing any data.
- Item Number Combiner – Combine two items number that were setup for the same item and both were used.
- Item Description Modifier – Change item descriptions on all previously created transactions – including sales orders and purchase orders.
- Item Number Modifier – Change an item number to a new item number.
- Certified Payroll Report – Use the Certified Payroll Report with US Payroll to add a project number to employees’ hourly transactions and track them on a per project basis. This tool will also capture information posted from the Timesheet Entry window in Project Accounting Timesheet Entry. Print these transactions on a weekly report and view employees, departments, job titles and pay codes by project.
- Employee Modifier – This tool allows the user to change an existing employee ID to a new employee ID.
- Fixed Asset Modifier – Change or combine the current Site / Location Code to a new code without losing any data.
- Doc Date Verify – Prevents entry into an undefined fiscal period.
- Default Add Item POP / SOP – Forces new items in the Sales Transaction Entry, Purchase Order Entry, Receivings Transaction Entry and Purchasing Invoice Entry windows to be added as items and not as non-inventory items
- Company Copy – This tool allows the setup and report option information from one company to be copied to another company.
In today’s digital banking system, transferring EFT or ACH files to/from your bank has become a key element of any modern business. The EFT for Payables module for Dynamics GP will give your company the ability to automate this process entirely within your existing Dynamics GP environment. Proper utilization of the EFT for Payables module will increase productivity and reduce manual cheque processing.
- Learn more about the EFT for Payables module for Microsoft Dynamics GP.
- Eliminate costs associated with postage
- Stakeholder has grown accustomed to-the convenience of this immediate payment method.
- Further, it is more environmentally friendly.
- More secure than a cheque payment.
Microsoft provides a robust connection between SSRS reports and Dynamics 365, allowing a user to run a report providing a summary of defined records. To create custom reports though, you will need to have a high-level knowledge of SQL/XML, or hire a consultant to build the report for you.
Why not take matters into your own hands and build your reports using out of the box components in Dynamics 365? Dynamics 365 offers both Excel Templates and Word Templates, empowering you to create reports which best suit your business needs, using the application that fits the bill.
Excel and Word templates allow you to create and share templates, so documents always have a consistent look and the necessary details included. Excel and Word templates are easily configured by selecting fields from your starting entity (i.e. Opportunity) to use as dynamic values in both Excel and Word. Not only can you select fields from the entity you began from, you also have the ability to select fields from related entities which have either a 1:N or N:N relationship with the starting entity.
With the help of Excel and Word templates, you can prepare beautifully crafted reports, which include data elements dynamically pulled in from D365. Should needs change, you can always modify and upload the revised template into D365, allowing you and your colleagues to always have the most current templates at your disposal.
Some benefits of using Excel and Word templates:
- One-click away from summary reports
- Flexible formatting
- Save time and money
- Simple to configure
- Ability to use Excel functions to analyze data
- And so much more…
How many products/services do you sell? How many pricing structures do you have for each? Do you offer volume discounts? A no-nonsense, structured approach which can be seamlessly applied (every time and without a second thought) can improve your sales strategy and have everyone on the same page.
The Product Catalog in Dynamics 365 makes it easier for your sales reps to increase their sales by having an authority by which to work when talking to potential customers about products/services offered. The product catalog is a combination of the products themselves, and the underlying pricing mechanism.
Below are the components which form the Product Catalog:
- Families & Products – Products are the items which you sell and product families provide a way to group, classify and categorize products for streamlined product management. Both bundles and individual products can be included in a product family tree.
- Price Lists – Price Lists are product groupings with associated pricing. Sales operation managers can link Dynamics 365 territories to price lists. This directly benefits salespeople by defaulting the appropriate price list to opportunities, quotes, orders and invoices.
- Discount Lists - Discount lists are optional and are used in conjunction with price list items for volume pricing offers.
- Unit Groups - Unit Groups define the quantities by which a product or service is sold. For example, mouse pads may be sold in lots of 50, 100, or 200. Or Services sold by the hour may be grouped by day, week or month.
As you begin configuring your product catalog, add components in the following order: Discount Lists (if needed), Unit Groups, Price Lists, Products. When adding Product, you can define bundles, which allows you to combine multiple products into a group, to be sold as a package. Product relationships can also be defined, allowing for the suggestion of product substitutions; accessory recommendations; highlight cross-sell and up-sell opportunities.
Once the Product Catalog is setup, salespeople will have the ability to select and add products to their Opportunities, Quotes, Orders, and Invoices.
Once a Product Line Item has been added, the User can open the line item and make any necessary modifications that are specific to the Customer they are working with (i.e. modify price per unit or offer a line item discount).
Furthermore, once a line item has been added, a Suggestions hyperlink will display. Clicking the “Suggestions” hyperlink enables the User to pick products suggested for up sell, cross sell, substitution, or as an accessory. The items selected are added as new product line items.
In addition to modifying the individual line items, the Salesperson can apply an overall discount to all product line items added, by dollar amount or percentage.
By recognizing the full potential of the Product Catalog in Dynamics 365, you can promote standardization amongst your sales team, and enable them to be more efficient and informed when speaking to customers and adding product line items to opportunities, quotes, orders, and invoices!